Sailing Clubs In The USA
The Club has roughly 160 members and growing every year. Our season kicks off with our annual “Social Spring Party” held over the Memorial Day weekend. Our sailing season starts in the first of June with an active schedule of one design and PHRF racing with events nearly every weekend from June until late September. Our season ends with the year banquet party held at the end of October.
The Racing: Dillon has a very active and competitive racing program. The most popular fleet, the J-24, drew over 30 entries to last year”s Dillon Open which is Colorado”s premier sailing event. Other fleets active in Dillon include J-80’s, Ensign 22’s, Etchells 22, Santana 22’s, Stars, J-22 fleet, and an active PHRF fleet. Sailing on Dillon Reservoir: Located just west of the Continental Divide and surrounded by 13,000 ft peaks, you are guaranteed some very exciting sailing conditions. Because of this Dillon, Colorado sailors are known to be some of the best in the Rocky Mountain region.
At 8,366 feet, the Grand Lake Yacht Club deservedly has received official recognition as the world”s highest registered yacht club. Grand Lake also is widely known as Colorado”s largest natural lake – a mile and a half long and a half mile wide. With a fleet over 55 boats in total, Grand Lake Yacht Club members sail the following boats , the E-scow, M 20, M 17, M16 and the Laser.
The Salty Dog Sailing Club, Inc. of Denver is a Colorado nonprofit organization. The Club plans about a dozen sails each season. These trips could include day or weekend sails at Chatfield or Cherry Creek Reservoirs, Lake Dillon or Carter Lake.
Union Sailing Club is located on Union Reservoir, 2 miles west of I-25 on Hwy 119 near Longmont, which is only a half hour drive from Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, or Greeley. Our private, secure area on the east side of the reservoir has a hand launching ramp, docks, boat storage 50 feet from shore, beach and picnic area. Union Sailing Club hosts racing, training and family events for dinghy and multihull sailors all season long. Wednesday night and Sunday afternoon racing series begin in March and end in October.
We host several open regattas including the Firecracker/Sparkler over July 4th and the OctoberFest in Oct. The club supports on the water fun and education for non-sailors, beginners and old salts alike with events like Demo Day, Sunday BBQs, and private or group lessons through our sailing instructors.
There are 2 large racing fleets at Union. The LMS fleet, which is Lasers, Mutineers, and Snipes, all raced without handicap together, and the Portsmouth Handicap fleet, in which all other types of boats are raced based on a handicapping system. Boats regularly in the Portsmouth fleet are MC Scows, Melges 14, and Finns.
Black Rock Yacht Club encourage and support yachting and yacht racing to offer athletic programs that build community, sportsmanship, and team skills among members of all ages and to foster a collegial dining and social environment. BRYC offers a wide range of programs and activities, including: A fine restaurant and full bar with dinning on our waterfront deck.
Junior Sailing Instruction and Racing in Optimists, Lasers and 420s Swimming, instruction, Swim Team – Tennis, instruction and Tennis Team – Adult Tennis – Ideal 18 Instruction and Racing including a special membership class for prospective members – Big Boat Racing – Wednesday & Friday Nights / Weekends – Summer Cruises – An active Social Calendar
Club is a membership of sailors and their families who share a common interest in sailboat racing. With a 115 year racing tradition and more than 100 days of racing each season, our members’ commitment to the sport speaks for itself.
CPYC is a participatory club with racing, social, cruising, and other sailing related activities which appeal to sailors of different skills, experience, and interests.
Cedar Point offers racing programs in a number of different types of boats. Although membership is required to skipper a boat on a regular basis in many of our programs, crewing on members’ boats is almost always open to non-members and skippering in some of the programs is open to participation by non-members as noted below. Boats include
* PHRF Racing: 24′ to 44′ racer/cruisers racing on Wednesday Nights (no spinnaker), Sundays (both spinnaker and non-spinnaker divisions) and point-to-point racing with overnight rendezvous on Holiday weekends.
* Atlantic: 30′ one design keelboats with main, jib and spinnakers and sailed by crew of 3 or 4. Racing on both Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
* Star: 22′ one design keelboats with main and jib sailed by 2 crew. Racing on Saturdays. Extensive local regatta schedule. Non-members are invited to crew.
* Lightning: 19′ one design centerboard boats with main, jib and spinnaker and sailed by crew of 3.
* Thistle: 17′ one design centerboard boats with main, jib and spinnaker and sailed by crew of 3. Racing on Saturdays. Extensive local regatta schedule.
* Vanguard 15: 15′ one design centerboard boats with main and jib, sailed by crew of 2. Racing on Thursday evenings and Sunday afternoons with multiple, short course race format. Extensive local regatta schedule.
* Laser:14′ one design singlehanded centerboard boat. Hugely popular frostbite racing series on Sundays in fall and spring. Saturdays of three day weekends in summer. Multiple, short course race format. Extensive local regatta schedule. Reduced-rate Winter Membership available. Fleet boat available for a day or two of guest skippering by members or non-members.
* Junior Sailing: Sailing and race training for 8 to 17 year olds. Boats used are: 8′ Optimist Dinghies, 13′ Blue Jays, 14′ Lasers and Laser Radials and 14′ 420s. Late-June through mid-August.
* High School Sailing: Race training in both team racing and fleet racing in Club 420s (boats supplied) on weekday afternoons in spring and fall.
The Darien Boat Club is located at 135 Pear Tree Point Road in Darien, Connecticut. The Boat Club offers a well protected anchorage for the membership”s boats in a picturesque residential setting. The Long Island Sound is easily and quickly accessed by the short harbor in which it is situated between the many harbors of Stamford and Norwalk.
The Darien Boat Club is ideally located for day trips to the Norwalk Islands, Five Mile River, Norwalk Harbor, Stamford Harbor, and only seven miles away from the north shore of Long Island to the south. Founded in the late 1940”s, and open to the residents of Darien, the membership has grown from a few charter members, to 850 and their families. The boat club has slips for 260 boats ranging in size from dinghies to 28” power and sail boats. Other facilities include racks for inflatables, kayaks, sunfishes, & canoes, additional space for beached dinghies are secured by chain.
Our facility is located on the Connecticut River in Essex, Connecticut. Club privileges are extended to guests of EYC members and all yachtsmen in good standing with recognized yacht clubs for a period of up to 10 days unless otherwise requested and approved by a flag officer. Slips, moorings, and dockage are available to visitors at the discretion of the Club Manager.
The Greenwich Boat & Yacht Club was organized in 1938 making it one of the oldest boat clubs in this Connecticut town. The club was founded to encourage the sports of Yachting & Boating and related activities, to make available facilities for its members to pursue such sports, and to suggest plans for the development of boating and harbor facilities in the Town of Greenwich.
Lake Pend Oreille Yacht Club (LPOYC) was established in 1977 Keith Sheckler and others to promote sailing in Sandpoint, Idaho. The club”s active racing program attracted sailors from all around the Inland Northwest. As its membership grew, its demographics shifted south, as more and more of its members were from Coeur d”Alene and Spokane. Racing at the south end of the lake grew and eventually the club migrated south too, from Sandpoint to Bayview. To fill the void in the north, Keith Sheckler spearheaded the creation of the Sandpoint Sailing Association (SSA) which cooperates with LPOYC to provide many racing and cruising opportunities on Lake Pend Oreille.